BREAST CANCER PREVENTION:
1 OUT OF 8 WOMEN WILL SUFFER FROM BREAST CANCER DURING HER LIFETIME.
This risk is reduced if we follow a few simple life rules:
- Nutrition: as many vegetables and fruit as possible;
- Learn to read the labels on food products; if possible, eat organic food or, if organic products are too expensive, wash the fruits and vegetables as well as possible, in order to remove at least a part of the pesticides; eat small amounts of pork or even chicken
- Vitamin supplements, based on medical recommendation, such as vitamin C: 500 – 1,000 mg, vitamin E 200 – 400 IU or fish oil, mineral selenium 200 mcg
- Stop smoking
- Drink alcohol below the recommended limits: consumption of 7-14 units/week increases the risk of breast cancer by 25%
- Exercise: minimum 30 minutes/day
- Discipline and persistence are important, not intensity
- Keep your beauty and your supple figure: maintain a balanced body mass index
- Use contraception medication or hormonal substitutes cautiously and ONLY based on medical recommendation
- Avoid useless thorax irradiation and irradiation in general
- Make sure you get enough sleep (7-8 hours a night)
- Have your screening medical check-ups, when recommended by the doctor.
Casiopeea organizes prevention workshops on this subject, for interested groups.